Re: Spitfire Frame Colors

To: CAMMAVI@mail.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire Frame Colors
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:01:28 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Folks:  Recently someone inquired about the color of the engine
>suspension, etc. and chassis of their Vitesse.  I believe I saw a
>response that said  something to the effect of chassis black.  The
>question is what was the original color of the chassis of my
>"'65 Spit?"  Since I'm restoring it and the body removal is imminent,
>I would like some advice.  The present color appears to be British
>Racing Green.  I know the last 5 owners and none have painted the
>chassis.  That brings me back '75 and I doubt that anyone would have
>painted the chassis on a 10 year old car unless the frame had been
>damaged.  Black or BR green?  Thanx in advance.

The inners and unders of my '67 Spitfire Mk2 show no evidence of being any
other color than that of the body, Signal Red.  I don't have a concourse
judging manual (Thank God!) to check, so if that is what you're looking for,
this may be a wrong answer.  But as far as I can tell, they were painted the
same color as the body.

My brother's 69 Spit Mk3 was white with WHITE undercarriage and frame!  Well,
white base, with a heavy layer of road tar and dirt, but that goes with the
territory...

Michael Turley
'67 Spitfire Mk2