Re: static vs dynamic timing

Subject: Re: static vs dynamic timing
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 16:48:02 EST
JoeSimcoe@aol.com writes:

>MY question which I would like to hear you all debate is whether it is more
>accurate to set the time Static or Dynamic.

        I've never trusted dynamic, what with all the advance/retard mechanisms
in play (not to mention cutting my teeth on Sprites, where seeing the marks
is great fun).  If you don't have a reasonably smooth low idle, it's hard
to avoid some centrifugal advance.  Nowadays on my vacuum advance AND retard
TR6, I just advanced it until it seemed happy.

>Dynamic was easy - I found static difficult only in that it was hard to get
>the Crank Shaft to turn smoothly.  I would advance it - but it would jump.
>
>It would start out with no movement, then after all the slack was taken out
>of the drivetrain, it would jump 10-15 degrees.

        Make sure you use 4th gear, not 1st.  Also, I find rocking it I can
very increase the amplitude until it pushes the engine forward a bit.  It also
can sometimes be easier to get it to stop smoothly than start smoothly - as
long as it doesn't stop it'll move smoothly.  These things probably vary car-
to-car, etc.
--
Randell Jesup, Randell.Jesup@scala.com   Political statement:
Congress should pass clean debt-limit & spending resolutions NOW.  Gingrich