Sand blasting steel wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sand blasting steel wheels
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 17:43:17 -0500
Hello all,

I thought I would relay my experiences this week regarding sandblasted
wheels.  I had a set of rusty stock Spitfires wheels that I thought could
stand fixing up.  Having spent lots of time getting marginal results
with wire brushes, Dremels, & sand paper.  I took them to be sand blasted.
When I picked them up, they looked great!  The sandblasting gave them
a 'textured' look, (which I like) similar to crinkle finished paint.
All traces of rust and old paint were gone.  There were a couple of
craters where the sand had 'cleaned out' a pitted area.

I gave them the treatment royale with many coats of primer & paint,
baking them in the sun between coats.  Yesterday, I took them to the
tyre store for new rubber.  Today I learn that they can't get the bead to
seal on any of the 4 rims!
They (tyre store manager) tell me that they tried all kinds of sealants
etc. with no results.  Aparantly the blasted sealing area on the rim is
too rough to get a bead.  My only recourse for the time being is inner
tubes.  I'm tired of fooling with these rims and it's too cold to paint!

Question:  What are the disadvantages of running inner tubes in this
manner?  I know about extra heat buildup.  The tyre store guy tells
me that hard (spirited?) braking can pinch a tube resulting in blowout.
Are there other gotchas?  Is car handling compromised?  Improved? :-)

I will probably transplant these tyres later on to better rims (w/ no tubes).
Looks like bead blasting would have been a kinder / gentler way to go.
Perhaps leave the tyres on the rims while being blasted.

Bob "blasted wheels" Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires