Re: V6-V8, or OTHER Question

To: chadmcc@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: V6-V8, or OTHER Question
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 16:30:15 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Well, finally something on this list I can really bite into.  I was
>getting bored with TR-8 injection problems and such.
>
>Ford 5.0L in a TR7 ?
>Rumours for 302 mounts in a TR-7 ?
>A Chevy V8?
>Buick V-6?
>Convertible ?

If you can handle the plumbing (and it *will* be extensive) there is at least
one TR-7 with a Saab 900 Turbo engine under the bonnet.  I was considering
buying this beast about 4 years ago.

The owner told me that the engine swap was a piece of cake, but it was
obvious that he'd spent many many hours getting the turbocharger smoothly
piped together with the exhaust.  The change kept the car's handling very
nimble, while stirring in plenty of power to get down the road.  I don't have
any clue how much power the 900 Turbo generates, and I have no clue how fast
the TR-900 Turbo was on a dragstrip, but my own experience strongly suggested
"cruise missile," especially considering the body's shape.  The custom
plumbing did cause a noticable increase in "turbo lag."  I suspect it was
because the total volume of the new exhaust manifold (up to the turbo)
exceeded that of the original setup in the Saab.  The net effect was that you
had to wind it up a second before the power hit!  ;)  A bit like a two stage
rocket, I'd guess...

I can say that the car lost none of a TR-7's driveability, and gained
enormous... um, ahem, "personality."  Unfortunately, the builder liked the
car even more than I did, and I was forced to pass this one up.

Michael Turley
'67 Spitfire Mk2