Re: Paint

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 18:44:10 -0700
Getting the original mix of paint won't do you much good if you're doing panel
or spot repairs, unless you subject the fresh paint to the exact same degree of
weathering and aging that the surrounding area has had.  If you are doing these
sorts of repairs, you may be able to get a automotive paint supplier in your
area to match, fairly closely, the color of the car as it exists now.

I have been doing some work with a couple of local (Salt Lake City) paint shops
on a couple of Triumph colors.  So if you are want a quart or more of one of
the original colors, and can't find it in your area, let me know, I'll try to
help out.

Good quality, custom color paint won't be cheap.  To paint a TR3 project I am
working on, I recently got a gallon of Wedgewood Blue made up in PPG Concept
2000 enamal, the paint and the various additives cost about $200.  Of course,
if you don't mind what the car's finish actually looks like, I am sure a home
center store near you will tint a gallon of $8.95 latex for you ;-)

mjb.