Spitfire alternator problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire alternator problem
From: "Derek Huber" <dhuber@netgate.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 23:48:42 -800
Comments: Authenticated sender is <dhuber@pop.netgate.net>
The alternator (3-prong style) in my 76 Spitfire has went out for the
second time in 8,000 miles/ 2 years.  The first alternator was
"burning" out the internal voltage regulator frequently.  After
realizing that there was most likely a bigger problem with the
alternator, I took it to a local electrical shop for testing.  They
determined that there was a short in the unit and that a rebuilt
alternator is the solution.  Now, here I sit with another alternator
with no juice to give.

First, how do I test the alternator's ability to produce current
(even if the regulator is shot)?  Note that I have read the Bentley
manual, but I do not have a variable resistor or two multi-testers to
design the test circuit he suggests; I am looking for an
alternative/easier method.

I have managed to get almost every electrical component on the car
functioning (to the Lucas standards).  I have checked the wiring for
connections and proper grounding during the restoration process. The
starter solenoid and wires running to/from it have been replaced
after "the fire" (cat converter caught the gearbox cover on
fire a few years ago).  For sometime, I was confident that I have
beaten the Prince of Darkness!  But now I not sure anyone can beat
him.:(  *sigh*

I am miffed as to the cause(s) of the alternator failure.  If it is
the regulator, any explainations as to why it burns out?  Has anyone
else out there experienced frequent alternator problems on a
Spitfire? Debugging advice would be much appreciated!
Derek Huber
dhuber@netgate.net