Re: Spitfire alternator problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire alternator problem
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:06:48 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <199511230648.WAA15728@vp.netgate.net>,
"Derek Huber" <dhuber@netgate.net> wrote:
> First, how do I test the alternator's ability to produce current
> (even if the regulator is shot)?

Connect the wire going from the brushes to the regulator to ground
instead. This should make your alternator go into "full power" mode
at all times.

Turn on the ignition, and check that the charging lamp is lit.
Start, and watch it go out. You should really also check the system
voltage.

Beware that this should put out max. ouput from the alternator, and
you will severely overcharge the battery if running like this. Do
no run high revs.

If you ever need an emergency repair for the regulator, replace it
with a bulb of suitable wattage (5W?, you'll have to experiment).
This will reduce the field current and hence charging to a more
reasonable level.

> For sometime, I was confident that I have
> beaten the Prince of Darkness!  But now I not sure anyone can beat
> him.:(  *sigh*

He isn't too bad once you get to know him. The most likely cause of
alternator problems is the brushes wearing out. In this case, no
field current will flow. The regulator may fail, the diodes may
zap, the windings may get shorted to ground, and the roller
bearings may fail. All repairable except for shorted windings
(OK, probably repairable too, but I've never tried).

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway