Unknown part

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Unknown part
From: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul Wiegman )
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 13:56:24 -0800
After finally getting this car completely back together (16 years
later), I when through the various parts boxes and came up with a part
which I'm sure came off the car (1957 TR3  TS145151L) but didn't get
back on.  I guess it's not critical since the car functions quite well
without it, but I'm interested in learning where it goes.  I've taken
the part to several British shows and talked with people with TR3's and

they haven't been able to identify the part.  It's not in any
catalogue.

It is a shallow metal "U" 3" across the bottom with the side extending
vertically about 1".  7/8 " wide at one end of the "U" but flaring to
1" at the other end.  The narrow end has a 3/8" hole in the center of
the vertical arm, and the other end two 1/8" holes.  It is black which
suggests that it was on the frame of the car, and the lower side of the

"U" there seems to be some undercoat.  The larger hole on the upright
has had a bolt and lock nut, but the two holes on the opposite side
seem to have not had bolts but did fit against two raised pins of some
sort.  The reason for this is that there is a thin film of paint
partially filling in the holes.

Any suggestions ?

Paul g. Wiegman
Allison Park, PA