Re: Spitfire alternator problem--Solution

To: dhuber@netgate.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire alternator problem--Solution
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 14:17:31 -0500
I have had this same problem of the alternator going out on my 79 Spit.
It happens when there is the SLIGHTEST short circuit ANYWHERE in the
electrical system.  The voltage regulator in the alternator is so under
designed that Lucas should be ashamed for selling such a device.  There is a
work-alike, plug-alike,  and fit-alike Bosch unit available.  Look up 79-81
Ford Fiesta alternators and compare.  I forget the exact model year, but it
is somewhere in there.

If there is a parts guy reading this list, perhaps we can get some assistance
on the exact unit to look for.  I have seem them in use, heard about them
from other Spit owners, and seen them in junk yards on Fiestas.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.