Re: 79 Spit starter

To: Peter Klein <pklein@psych.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: 79 Spit starter
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 14:55:32 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Peter Klein wrote:
>I had the same problem and it turns out that
the battery post had worn
>enough that the cables no longer fit tight
enough to provide enough current
>to the starter.  Eventhough everything else
worked perfectly (ie. lights,
>fan, radio, etc.) My advice would be to clean
all the contacts/connections
>and tighten it all up. In the case of worn
posts, sleeves are available to
>increase the OD of the posts although I'm not
sure if that would be
>considered a 'backyard' soloution or not.

Earlier this year I had a bus battery where
the terminal had actually melted due to poor
contact and heavy starting currents causing
localised heating.  I found a battery
manufacturing and repair company local to me
(SE London / Kent) who cast on a whole new
terminal.  They did the job the same day and
charged me 2 whole British pounds.

Phil

Phil Willson
Electronic Engineering Dept