correct finish for inner rear TR-6 driveshaft

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: correct finish for inner rear TR-6 driveshaft
From: classic@interserv.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 20:52:17 -0800
I am looking to reproduce the correct finish on the inner rear sliding shaft on
my TR-6 restoration. This is the shaft closest to the rear end and into which
the outer shaft slides into.

I have seen some that are threaded and a collar which fits over the outer shaft
screws onto. Neither the factory parts manuals, nor any parts illustrations
including TRF show this collar.

I know that the yoke portion should be s black phosphate, but does anyone have
low mileage enough car to know if this whole shaft is black phosphate or just
the yoke?

Also on the u-joint side of this shaft (between the shaft and the flange which
bolts on to the rear end) there is a round hole which is sealed with a domed
metal seal. Was this black or natural?

I don't know of any supply of the .25" cork gaskets inside the collars, but
they
are not too hard to make. Also, has anyone seen a source for those domed metal
covers?