Where are the "X"-cars now? [was What happened to....]

To: Andy Gascoigne <AndyG@wpauk.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Where are the "X"-cars now? [was What happened to....]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 13:34:58 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Andy Gascoigne wrote:

> In your message dated Friday 24, November 1995 Bob Sykes wrote :
>
> > ADU1B was crashed at Le Mans and never rebuilt.
> > ADU2B raced some more and was ultimately crashed.
> > Either ADU3B or ADU4B survives.  No one knows which one it is.
> > This car was used by the factory to create a GT6R.  The car was
> > never completed and in early '66 the project abandoned, and the car
> > dismantled.  Some of the parts were used to build up the Macau Spitfire.
>
> The Macau car was apparently 'the sixth car' - this is a real bummer if none
> still exist -

Right. If I understand Robson and others, the "fifth car" was a
fastback, but incorporated some sort of MacPerson/Chapman strut rear
suspension, and it was supposedly a better handler than were the others.

> there was also the Rallying (!) Spits which also carried the
> ADU nB no's - where did these cars get to?

ADU 5B, 6B, 7B and 8B, and the one built for Valerie Pirie (sp?) -- total
of five cars?

And while we're playing "where are they now," does 412VC still exist --
THE prototype, the car used for so much early promotional photography,
rallying, etc.? Or 4305 VC, the "white" prototype later converted by
Michelotti to become the "Spitfire GT"?

> > The TSSC's car, Quasi is more of a Macau replica,
> > (not fast back hard top) with Le Mans style paint scheme.
> > (right Andy?)

Right, Bob! ;-)

> ...yeah it's just a replica - but not a bad one - apparently some Swiss guy
>owns
> the original Macau car and brought it over to Stafford this year
> (I went to the Bristol Classic car show, at Shepton Mallett (?) cos I thought
> Stafford a bit far - BIG mistake!)

Bob and I have chatted at length about the Macau Spitfire. Current
photographs of this car seem to show a car with a fairing profile much
different than that shown in the "original" pictures (such as in the
Robson book). Does anyone know if the car was partially rebodied at some
point? I realize Kastner probably made some body changes when the car
was converted to six-cylinder power (perhaps, for example, the rear
fender flares?), but....?

Also, any word on how "Quasi" did? Seems to me this was to be the
weekend of its appearance at the Macau Gran Prix.

  * New York State Library              phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *
  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *