Spitfire fuel pump - follow-up

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire fuel pump - follow-up
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
My previous post asked for help with spit 1500 engine that wouldn't start
and didn't seem to be getting fuel.

Here's what happened: I siphoned gas up to pump. I poured gas into hose
between carb and pump. I loosened and re-tightened all the hoses (acted like
there may have been an air-lock between pump and filter?). cranked, cranked,
nothing but could pump fuel to carb when hose was d/c. Had friend with a lot
of spitfire experience come over. Checked the spark which was good.
cranked, cranked, cranked the battery
dead. Jumped to his jeep battery. He suggested that the distributer may be
180 degrees off (but I had checked and #1 was at top and the neither valve
was open and timing marks lined up). We rotated the distributer 180.
cranked. we swung the distributer 15, 30 degrees that way, then 15, 30
degrees the other way hoping to get any sort of ignition. NOTHING. Decided
to put distributer back and swing it in that position. We rotated it 180
degrees - started first crank, ran all weekend.

Apparently the distributor was 360 degrees from where it needed to be. Yes,
it is a Lucas  ;). brent

* Brent Martin, DVM, ACLAM                                           *
* Director of Animal Resources                                       *
* Central Vivarium             E-Mail  b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu*
* University of California     Office Phone       (805) 893-2333     *
                           *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX                (805) 893-2005     *