FWD: Re: Spit rear Suspension, FI

To: triumphs
Subject: FWD: Re: Spit rear Suspension, FI
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:46:33 -0700
     Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:56:31 -0800 (PST)
     From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
     Subject: Re: Spit rear Suspension, FI

On Nov 28,  4:47pm, Thomas Story wrote:
> Subject: Spit rear Suspension
> I've been having some real fun times with my Spit lately, great weather out
> here in Northern California. However, I noticed and can feel in the
> handling that my rear wheels seem to have too much POSITIVE camber. Yes I
> know most Spits seem to suffer from Spring loss, but mine appears to have
> too much spring. Is there a way to adjust this? Will switching to a later
> model swing spring give me a little negative camber?

It should, and it's an easy swap. I'd go for a NEW rear spring if
possible, though. It bolts right in, and you need only to plug off the
two center stud holes in the diff. (you can do this by cutting off the
two existing studs flush with the top of the casing.

NOTE: to make this swap useful (and the car driveable?), you need also
to change the front swaybar to the thicker one from a Spitfire Mk.IV or
1500.

> Anyone ever convert a Spit engine (1500) to fuel injection? Any advice
> (like don't do it!), or (the best damn thing I ever did to it!). Something
> I've been thinking more and more about lately. Thanks!   Tom

Seems to me that someone once adapted a TR6 PI system to work on a
Spitfire 1300/1500 motor. It was written up in "The Vintage Triumph" I
think, a number of years ago. Honestly, though, I can't imagine how it
could be worth the effort. Of course, YMMV.

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov