RE: Long stroke vs Torque.

To: triumphs
Subject: RE: Long stroke vs Torque.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:53:13 -0700
     From: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
     Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 08:01:00 PST

 Doc Dreher wrote:
>>The major advantage slow-reving long-stroke motors have over short-stroke
>>motors is their superior low-rpm velocity of the incoming charge

I don't get this part.  Can you explain why the long stroke engine would
produce higher intake velocity?  Since both engines would have the same
displacement it seems they would "want" to pump the same amount of air.  Are
you assuming that the smaller bore equates to smaller valves and/or ports?

I follow the rest of your explanation just fine, and thanks for explaining
it so concisely.

Tom Gentry
72 Triumph TR-6 OD
86 Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo
88 Sterling 825SL
tgentr@wgc.woodward.com

"Life is too short to drive boring cars!"