Re: Server fund, list format

To: triumphs
Subject: Re: Server fund, list format
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 18:04:48 -0700
     Date: Thu, 30 Nov 95 11:59:13 EST
     From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente)

 Mark J Bradakis wrote:
[snip]  The bad news, though, is that the new server is not yet on
line,  let alone selected and ordered.  I am getting a bit tired
of  coming in to work at various times and finding my machine has
thrashed itself to death trying to deal with a few thousand
messages in the outgoing mail queue.  So to see if I can make
things a bit better I put the triumphs list in moderated mode
today.  It had the most messages since the digests went out, so I
chose it.  What this means is that mail to
triumphs@autox.team.net has to be personally approved by me
before getting sent out to list members.  That should slow things
down! [snip]
#######################

At the risk of incurring Mark's wrath (sorry chum), does the
concept of "moderating" the list seem somewhat Orwellian and "Big
Brother-like" to anyone other than me?  Does the phrase "prior
censureship" come to mind?  Granted, there is a lot of "noise" on
the list from time to time that has nothing to do with LBCs or
Triumphs.  But is the volume of "noise" traffic really that bad?
Mark, are you willing to send this out on the list to see if
others have any comments, or should I toss in some technical
comments about Spitfire manifolds to pass muster?  FYI, I applaud
your efforts and your tireless work in keeping this list in great
shape and agree that something should be done to help the
situation, still . . . your approach surprises me somewhat.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk. I