SU on '79 Spit Question

To: triumphs
Subject: SU on '79 Spit Question
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 13:46:36 -0700

     Date: Fri, 1 Dec 95 7:45:49 -30000
     From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>

I've got a '75 Spitfire that came to me with a '79 engine and SU HS-2's from
a '70 (I'm going to get custom plates with "Gulash" on them I think).

It was barely running when I got it, and I've redone a lot of the wiring, and
overhauled the carbs. I'm about ready to prime the carbs and start it up,
but...

Here's the questions:

1) I've been told by some knowledgable people that the HS-2's are inadequate
for the 1500 Spit, but since I have the low compression engine anyways, will
it matter?  Has anyone successfully put dual SU's on a later 1500 and can
tell me which needles to use?

2) Is it possible to shave he head on this engine, change pistons, and raise
the compression up to a decent level?   [I'd like dimensional details to tell
the machine shop if you've done this].

In the interests of preventing Mark's machine from "thrashing" [I just hate
to see a machine in pain], please respond privately, and I'll later post a
single message that containts the collected wisdom of the list.

Thanks in advance,

Sean Johnson