Re: TR6 Drive shaft

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 Drive shaft
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:38:40 -0800
Donald,

First you need to remove both seats and send them out for reupholstering.
You then need to remove the carpeting from the transmission tunnel and
order a new set. If you're lucky, they may be on sale and in stock.
Then, remove the transmission cover and order one of those plastic ones
from Moss or TRF.
While you have the transmission exposed, you mightaswell pull it out and
replace the clutch and the throw-out-fork pin and cross-shaft bearings.
Take a close look at the transmission front seal. Probably needs to be
replaced as well.
Since you had to take the starter off to get the transmission out, you
migtaswell send it out and have it rebuilt or order a new one.
Now is a good time to replace the clutch. Does the flywheel need to be
resurfaced? Check for end-float with a dial indicator. Thrust washers
should probably be replaced if end-float exceeds 0.015" Also check for
run-out. If run-out exceeds more than a few thousands of an inch, you
probably need to replace the crank.
You'll want to drop the differential from the rear of the car. Removing
the exhaust and replacing it with one of those stainless steel jobbies
will be necessary. Check those differential mounts and bushings. You
mightaswell replace them at this time. Carefully check the seals on the
differential. If they aren't leaking too badly, you may not need to replace
them for a while, but since you have the differential out anyway, well ...
you mightaswell ......

Don't forget to replace the u-joints!

-- Flemming "BTDT" Larsen                     flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu

   '74 Triumph TR-6, CF27518U