RE: Spit rear Suspension

To: triumphs
Subject: RE: Spit rear Suspension
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 17:24:42 -0700

     Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 08:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
     From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>

In message Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:10:03 -0700,
  Someone whose name I didn't save writes:

> However, I noticed and can feel in the
> handling that my rear wheels seem to have too much POSITIVE camber. Yes I
> know most Spits seem to suffer from Spring loss, but mine appears to have
> too much spring.

Does this mean the tops of the wheels are in or out? Mine are "in" (sorry
serious autophils) and seems to be "too much spring" also. It seemed to
appear at the same time that I had someone replace the bearings and I think
that it is because the "axle is too long". It seems that the inner grooved
end is now jammed at it's maximum in the U-joint flange. I noticed it when I
reinstalled the axles but assumed that the weight of the car would break
them loose - addition of grease and WD-40 hasn't done it yet, either. Does
any of this make sense? Is there some way to break the axles loose in the
flanges? Does it matter?

Thanks, brent

* Brent Martin, DVM, ACLAM                                           *
* Director of Animal Resources                                       *
* Central Vivarium             E-Mail  b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu*
* University of California     Office Phone       (805) 893-2333     *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX                (805) 893-2005     *