Re: Help - please :-) <01HYAYRRQDKYDFBES6@utxvms.cc.utexas.e

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Michael Noerregaard)
Subject: Re: Help - please :-) <01HYAYRRQDKYDFBES6@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 21:06:11 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Michael Noerregaard said:
 > I was driving my littte GT6+ home tonight, but when pulling out from a
 > parking lot, I didn't give it enough gas, so it died. [...] there wasn't
 > a whole lot of fuel in the fuel filter right
 > before it enters the carbs [...] what could be causing this?

I went through this for a couple of years on my TR6 before I got it sorted out.
It could be:

 + clogged pickup in the fuel tank
 + clogged fuel line
 + perished rubber fuel lines
 + bad fuel pump
 + clogged fuel filter

I had **ALL** of them.

I recommend changing all the fuel filters and replacing ALL the rubber fuel
lines straightaway as that's cheap and relatively easy.  While you're at it,
cut open the filter you take out and see if it's full of crud.  If so, you may
need to pull the fuel tank and clean it out.  Various places like JCWhitney
and Eastwood[1] have kits for sloshing the fuel tank -- coating the inside
with a synthetic polymer that arrests corrosion and prevents rust flakes in
the fuel.

Once you've done that, test the pressure from the fuel pump.  Test gauges are
available at any FLAPS[2] and are easily hooked up.  I'm not sure what GT6
spec is for fuel pressure; my TR-6 is happy with my 3 (or so) PSI Facet pump
(as long as I don't unport the pickup on hard left turns with less than a
third of a tank...)

  --berry

[1] See the Monster List (Findable at http://www.team.net:80/sol/) for
addresses
    and phone numbers.
[2] FLAPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center