Spitfire 1500 Warm start solution

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Warm start solution
From: "Paul Mew" <paulmew@vossnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 18:18:34 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <paulmew@mail.vossnet.co.uk>
I've recently posted some help wanted messages, thanks to the
excelent response I recieved, I have managed to sort the problem on
my car.  I hope my solution to my problem may give someone some ideas
on thier own problems, also, if anyone needs more details of my
solution please email me direct.

Problem- Car fails to start  when up to operating temp ( i.e stopping
for petrol or stalling!)  Starter motor turns engine quicker than
normal, but engine will not fire.

I tried all electrical elements, new points, plugs, distributor,
coil, condensor ect, then i posted mail on here and had suggestions
relating to the fuel system, I thought I should
concentrate on that, I removed the fuel filter in the pump, it was
almost totally clogged, plus the pump was leaking fuel.  After
cleaning and replacing filter and gasket, the leak still persisted,
and as it is one of the sealed ones I had to purchase a new one (about
15 pounds).  After returning home with my pump, plus a new dashpot
damper,a mainfold bolt and bits and some other bits and bobs, all were
fitted, I adjusted the timing slightly and then it started fine and
ran excelently (Possibly helped by some duckhams classic 20-50
heritage oil I picked up). It is still not perfect cos when I start it
warm I need to give it full gas as I start it and then it takes a few
seconds to get up to speed, but overall it works great!