RE: Z-S Carburator Adjustment Problem

To: JoeSimcoe@aol.com, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Z-S Carburator Adjustment Problem
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 08:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
In message Sun, 3 Dec 1995 20:05:34 -0500, JoeSimcoe@aol.com  writes:

> Forgive me if this is a re-post.  I tried to send an earlier message but
> never saw it post.

No only this one.

> Anyway - I got THE TOOL (VB - TRF & Moss were all backordered) removed the
> pistons, got it inserted and set but darned if I could get it to turn.
> Gave it a pretty good try, in both directions, but it wouldn't move in
> either direction.
>
> HELP - Any Suggestions.   My theory is that the DPO turned them too far to
> the lean side and the needles came out of the threads. Does this sound
> reasonable, or does anyone have another idea.

Maybe. Are you sure the hex end of the tool is clear down into the keyway?
Are you saying that the allen wrench won't turn? When the needles are
disenguaged, the wrench turns just fine - the needle just doesn't move.

> If indeed the needles have become disengaged what kind of job is it to fix
> this.  I have never opened up the carbs before and don't know what I
> would be getting into.  Any tips, words of encouragement or instruction
> will be GREATLY appreciated.

How far out are the brass plugs that hold the needles? They disenguage when
about 2-3 mm of the plug shows from the bottom of the air valve. The DPO could
have also left out the grub screw that keep the needle from turning when you
use the tool. Try blocking the air valve up and watching the needle while
turning - does it spin?
  Take top 4 screws off carb. I think at that point the air valve with
diaphragm lift out. You can examine for grub screw. If the needle is screwed
too far out - I did this - drill a small hole through a wooden block, about
an 1/8th in., set the neeedle down into the hole and push while using the
tool, it will "grab" it and pull it in (if there is a grub screw)

> As it is now, the car runs fairly well but we don't get that throaty
> "tune" from the exhaust.  It is now lower pitched and more of a rumble
> than that typical TR6 sound.
>
> I am assuming (hoping) that this too is an indication of improper fuel
> mixture.

I believe the general wisdom is mess with the carbs as a last resort.

* Brent Martin, DVM, ACLAM                                           *
* Director of Animal Resources                                       *
* Central Vivarium             E-Mail  b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu*
* University of California     Office Phone       (805) 893-2333     *
                           *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX                (805) 893-2005     *