Re:UK Road Tax for 25+ year old cars

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:UK Road Tax for 25+ year old cars
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:52:50 +0000 (GMT)
As time goes on, more details of this concession have
come to light so , for anyone who has not been following
the saga:

The tax exemption applies to all Private/light goods (PLG)
vehicles and motorcycles over 25 years old, even though
all the press releases I've seen just say 'cars and
motorcycles'.  I received the form yesterday to get the
rebate for tax on our old London double deck bus.

It applies to a vehicle from the 1st January of the year
following the year in which it was first registered i.e.1970
registered vehicles will be tax exempt as from 1st January
1996.

If 'the system' thinks your car qualifies AND is currently
taxed, you will receive a claim form automatically.  The
exemption applies from 28th November and any complete
months of road tax will be refunded.  The forms are being
issued now.

You MUST continue to display your tax disc.  In the future,
you apply for your annual disc in the usual way i.e. by
showing your MOT and insurance certificates, the only
difference being that you don't hand over any money.

For a vehicle that was originally registered outside the UK,
the exemption applies from the build date which somehow
has to be proved to the DVLA.

It is interesting to note that this scheme was 'leaked' at
the beginning of October and the date on the official
rebate form is Sept. '95.  So the leak definitely came from
an informed source.

Phil
TSSC 13/60 Secretary

Phil Willson