spit 1500 big end rattle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spit 1500 big end rattle
From: "Dr J.E.Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:02:23
My Spitfire 1500 was suffering from low oil pressure and big end
rattle on startup, so before it got too bad I replaced the big end,
main bearings, thrust washers, oil pump and oil pressure relief
spring.  Oil pressure is now back to what it should be (over 50 psi @
2000 rpm when hot).  However, on startup in the morning there is
still a 2-3 second delay before the oil light goes out and a
corresponding bearing rattle.  Is this normal or does the oil light
on a new or recon engine go out immediately after standing all night?
I've tried a variety of oil filters, including the proper Unipart
one, but this makes no difference.  Any thoughs anyone?

Jonathan Miles

Dr J.E.Miles
School of Biological Sciences
University of Birmingham