Re: spit 1500 big end rattle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spit 1500 big end rattle
From: "Dr J.E.Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 17:00:05
 Re: spit 1500 big end rattle

> > My Spitfire 1500 was suffering from low oil pressure and big end
> > rattle on startup....
> Dr. J.
>
> Did you regrind the crank? How much clearance did you measure with the new
> bearings?
>
> I don't mean to insult you intelligence or demean your mechanical skills.
>These
> are the questions I must ask to help you evaluate the situation.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ken Boetzer

I have to admit that the bearing change was a rush job (I need the
car to get to work) and therefore I didn't check out the crank other
than to look for scoring etc. It seemed fine and John Kipping had a
look at the old bearings and considered them not too bad, but due for
a change. He thought it unlikely that the crank would need a regrind.
I should have checked but didn't have time to take the crank out of
the car.

Jonathan

Dr J.E.Miles
School of Biological Sciences