Re: Oil - Grades and Brands

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil - Grades and Brands
From: VDPY33A@prodigy.com (MR PATRICK J MCMULLEN)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:24:01 EST
Joe,

I run 15w-50 Mobil One oil in my restored TR-6.  I must also beg to
differ with Mr. Barnes last statement about no reason to run
synthetics in a Triumph.  I normally don't put more than 2000 miles a
year on my car.  This is the perfect example when to use synthetics.
If you make a lot of short trips or if the car sits for long periods
of time, you can get condensation inside the crankcase.  If this
moisture is not removed, you are looking for trouble.  If an engine
has time to warm up (200 Deg +) then the moisture will be cooked out.
 If you use a hydrocarbon based oil (natural oils) and don't remove
the moisture, it will emulsify with the oil and transform into an
acid.  This in turn will slowly eat away at your bearings.  You can
tell if an engine runs to cold by looking around the breather cap or
crankcase ventilation system (if equipped) for foam or what looks
like white grease.  This cannot happen with synthetic motor oil
because it is not a hydrocarbon base.  Absolutely the best protection
for a car like mine.
If I drove one everyday that got to operating temperature and stayed
with a good oil change program, regular motor oil will do just fine
with no problems.  TR-6's have some wide bearing clearances and like
a heavier oil to keep the parts from touching.  I would stick with a
multi viscosity too.  They offer far superior protection over a
straight grade.

"Now I've done it!"  :>

Pat in NC