Re: Slow response in cold - due to carb damper oil?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slow response in cold - due to carb damper oil?
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 14:26:42 +0100
Cc: zimerman@MIT.EDU
> I have found that as the temp drops, my TR6 is taking longer and longer to
> 'warm up.'  I'm not referring to engine temperature; rather, to the time
> it takes for the engine not to sputter and complain when shifting power
> levels up or down.  My question- is this because the damper oil in my
> carbs is getting thicker, and it takes longer for it to warm up because it's
> removed from the engine block's heat?  If this is the case, would
> switching to a lighter oil help?

When the temperature is getting near or below freezing many carburettered
cars need to have som 'carburetter fluid' added to the gas. This will prevent
water in the gas from freezing when the gas evaporates in the carburetter,
(when the gas evaporates the temperature drops). The fluid will usualy contain
an alcohol (don't remember which) that will bond to the water and lower
it's freezing point.

I have found it to make a big difference in my Spit 1500 when the temperature
is at 2-3 deg. C or below.

 - Peter