GL4/GL5 Warning (was Tight grearbox)

To: TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GL4/GL5 Warning (was Tight grearbox)
From: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com
Date: 14 Dec 95 09:44:35 -0600

>But *DO* stay away from Hypoy oil (GL5 spec) if you have an overdrive box.
>The OD clutch is not compatibile with the high-pressure additives in these
>oils.

>>Oh, oh...  ummmm...  That's what I've been using.  It's been in for 4
>>years/35,000 miles with no problems evident, yet.  I'm knocking on wood
and
>>hoping it isn't going to cause problems now.

Tom,
    Of course it will fall apart now that you have been informed. Anyway
just a note. In the Kippings catalog there is a warning:

               "Use only gear oil to GL4 specification for all diffs.
                Additives in GL5 gear oil attack the copper thrust
               washers fitted to all units"

     While this warning is for differentials, I have don't know what is
inside the gearbox but it is always possible it could effect the gearbox
also. Better safe than sorry.
Regards,
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L

"Life is too short to drive boring cars!"