TR4 Exhaust

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Exhaust
From: kstewart@icis.on.ca (Keith Stewart)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 17:52:47 -0500
On Sunday, December 24, Art Kelly had some questions regarding
mild steel and stainless steel exhaust systems for his 64 TR4.

I installed one of TRF's Stainless Steel systems on my 1962
TR4 approximately 4 or 5 years ago.  The system is made by
Falcon in the UK.  The sound is similar to that of the
original system but let's remember that I replaced the
original system approximately 25 years ago so I'm not sure how
good my recollection is of that 'distinctive' sound.  However,
the sound is clearly NOT like that of the Monza---I had one of
those at one point as well.

When I bought the kit, I had to order gaskets, hangers and
clamps separately but these were also readily available from
TRF.  Also, don't forget the little tailpipe extension and
clamp---the original TR4 tailpipe ended right at the bumper.
Two years ago I ordered another system for my 67 TR4A and it
included all the installation hardware.  I don't know whether
the makeup of the kit has changed or whether the installation
components are simply included in the TR4A kits.

I believe the Stainless Steel kit is worth the added cost
because the metal lasts so much longer than mild steel.  I
believe this is even more so in cases where the car is being
driven shorter distances and/or less frequently.  Even if the
system only lasts twice as long, that's still one less
installation.

Trouble spots that I recall are with two of the hangers and
the placement of that rear resonator.  The forward hanger is a
combination clamp/hanger that is bolted in place via the rear
engine mount/transmission support.  This is a very awkward
area in which to work and you will likely have to remove the
gearbox cover.  As you likely know, this is a time consuming
task and therefore, one you might want to complete before
taking the car to the shop.  The rear hanger supplied seemed
too short and the tension on the strap led to its early
demise---several times.  I now use a slightly longer strap.
Someone at TRF told me that it came from a TR6 but I think the
part number 'might' be GEX7044 and TRF's catalog indicates
that this is for a TR2-4.

When everything was installed, the rear portion of the
resonator was tightly pressed up against the differential
housing.  The exhaust pipe could not be moved any farther
forward and the connection between the exhaust pipe and the
tail pipe was quite solid.  Therefore, the only solution---a
big hammer!  Actually, I had access to an oversize rubber
hammer and used this to hammer the resonator forward into the
exhaust pipe until only the rearmost surface lightly touched
the diff housing.  This contact probably contributed to the
demise of the rear hanger.

Hope this helps with your problem.

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart