"+1" wheel upgrade [was Re: Spitfire Wire Wheels(Q)]

To: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Subject: "+1" wheel upgrade [was Re: Spitfire Wire Wheels(Q)]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 10:50:00 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Thomas Story <tomstory@slip.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Michael Burdick wrote:

> Andy,
>
> I think you're thinking of the big TRs which used shorter studs for the
> splined adaptors.  Spits use the same studs for steel wheels or splined
> adaptors.  There are special lug nuts for use on the adaptors though....

Mike, that's good to know. I'd bought a set of wheels, splined hubs and
knockoffs years ago, but I've never gotten around to trying them on a
car. Maybe if I didn't procrastinate so much....!

> Greg Meboe mentioned the possibility of using 14" or 15" wires on the
> Spit.  Another possibility that crossed my mind was to use alloys with
> splined hubs in 14" or 15"....

Still another thought that crosses my mind: has anyone ever tried
fitting the Stag/Triumph 2.5 sedan 14" alloys on a Spitfire or GT6? I
know that the bolt pattern is the same; in fact, the original 2000 uses
the same 4.5" wide 13" diameter wheel used on GT6s and some Spits and
Heralds. Also, I know that the 14" alloys are currently available at
least from Rimmer Bros. and perhaps others.

As I recall, the Stag alloys are 5.5", so it seems to me that this might
be a valid +1 concept?

  * New York State Library              phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *
  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *