SU carb leak?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU carb leak?
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:17:44 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8468674181alinkens@farnborough>
Hi all,
        Can anyone give ideas on this problem? When slowing down for traffic
lights and then idling for a short time there's a really strong smell of petrol
in the car. I've tried to see where it's coming from but apart from a faint
whiff from the rear SU carb there's no sign of petrol leaks when I lift the
bonnet. Is it to do with the carb - will I need to do a full rebuild?

>has anyone an idea what alternater will fit the Heralds, theres less space
>in there than some of the other Triumphs.

I fitted a fairly standard Lucas alternator to my Herald (with Vitesse engine)
about 6 years ago. I followed an article in the TSSC's Courier that uses an old
control box with modified internal connections so that everything looks
original and you can go back to a dynamo if you want. It has been one of the
best things I've done to the car and with a heavy duty battery, daily jump and
bump starts are a thing of the past. I think back issues of the Courier are
available - or I could dig a copy out if I can find it!

>My girlfriend complained about the fuel smell in my Herald for weeks
>before I finally decided to do something about it. Turned out my tank was
>leaking at one of the seams.

Sometimes a dodgy seal on the sender unit can cause fuel leaks. On the Herald
there's also a screw-in outlet pipe. I have been told that sometimes vapour can
leak out past the threads - this can be sealed - don't ask me what with!!

This sums up my cars due to lack of money and time!

Trusty
Rusty
Ideally
Uncostly