rear seal

To: jaws@mich.com
Subject: rear seal
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:49:16 PST
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
I am interested to hear how your work turns out once you button
everything back up.  I am in a somewhat similar situation as I have the
body off the frame of my 3A and am trying to get things back together
soon.  My motor was allegedly rebuilt shortly before the car was laid up
and I later purchased it.  I ran it and got 140psi on 3 cylinders with
the other only making around 70.  I will try and determine if the cause
is rings or valves -- I suspect that one of the valves was open for a
time and got some corrosion on the seat. Adding oil to the cylinder
brought up the compression a little but couldn't get it over 70.   I
intend to pull the pan and check the bearings, if they are OK and a leakdown
doesn't point to rings I will just pull the head and do a valve job
before buttoning back up.  My only concern is the problematic rear seal.
 I know I need to examine closely the manual but I guess my choices are
1) leave it alone if there is no external indication of wear. 2)
Replace the scroll seal with a new on to be safe or 3)  Cough up the $$
and buy the Moss conversion.

Sound like a valid plan??
TIA
MRB