Re: Depressed state during winter...

To: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Subject: Re: Depressed state during winter...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:22:07 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Rodney Orr wrote:

> The depressed state during my TR6s winter hibernation I'm referring to is
> something else in addition to my own.  In the Nov.'96 issue of Road & Track,
> the Engineering Editor suggested keeping the clutch pedal depressed with a
> wooden dowl during storage.  This apparently keeps the pressure plate,
> clutch disc and flywheel apart and prevents them from rusting together. Can
> anyone comment if this is worth doing?
> Thanks,
> Rod.  '70 TR6  CC55899L

I can't say for certain whether it helps with the TR6, but it seems
almost mandatory with GT6s, Spitfires and other small Triumphs that use
the "diaphragm"-style clutch. These do tend to stick, sometimes after
only a short period of time, depending on storage conditions.

It can do no harm to the clutch, and the "worst case scenario" would be
that the clutch hydraulics could let go, merely demonstrating that they
were in need of attention anyway.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *