Re: TR3 Jack mount

To: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks), Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Jack mount
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 22:10:27 -0800
At 11:08 PM 11/2/96 -0500, Jack I Brooks wrote:
> I am planning on putting my TR3 on stands
>this winter to make reviewing/ repairing the front end and undercarrige
>easier.  I have some slop in the steering.  Does anyone have experience
>with the best places to support the car on jack stands?

Rear on the axle, front on the frame.  I have one pair of jack stands and
one set of heavy duty ramps.  I use both to put my car up.  The space where
my car is on jack stands is sloped.  I point it facing down hill. pound a
'T' post into the ground and tie a come along between the 'T' post and the
rear Axle.

If you using jackstands on dirt or asphalt, place plywood under the jack
stands, preferably the same piece under both stands at each end. As you set
the stands, the car wil probably move.  Once it is all the way up on the
stands. Lift each end of the car & reset the stands to make sure the stands
are sitting square.

People have died working under their car.  Before I go under, I give mine a
good sold push from two directions 90 degrees appart. If its at all shakey
reset the satands.  Better than sufficating with the weight of your car on
your chest.

I live about one mile from the surface epicenter of the '89 Loma Prieta 7.2
quake.  My TR3 was on jack stands then it happened.  My house got trashed,
my fireplace exploded, but my TR3 stayed up on her stands

Good luck getting your steering sorted out.

BTW if your worm & peg are worn, the Roadster factory can completely
rebuild your steering box.  They did mone.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com