Wider crank bearings

Subject: Wider crank bearings
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:48:05 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
Examining the main bearings of my 2.5, I can't help noticing that there
really seems to be room for bearing that are, say, 20% wider then the
standard ones. With more horses on tap than the standard item, wouldn't
it be natural to assume that such bearings would make the camshaft last
longer? Albeit with a slight increase in friction.

Even the big ends seem to allow some 10% wider bearings.

Does someone know if wider bearings can be obtained? As far as I can see,
the 4 cylinder (Herald/Spitfire) uses the same bearings as does the 6.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway