RE: body

To: "'Ed Burger'" <eburger@sagelink.com>
Subject: RE: body
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:30:07 -0600 (CST)
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Does the body bolt together or is it welded on a '65 spit?

The Spitfire body is spot-welded together, with a few spots even being
brazed together.  The best way I have found to remove panels with minimum
damage to surrounding pieces is to drill out the individual spot welds
with a 3/16" or 1/4" bit.  This method has an added benefit:  the holes
left in the remaining panel can be used to make "fill-in" welds when
installing the new piece.

You had a number of other questions, to which I have a couple of comments.

Re: the rear valence - buy the new panel.  Welding it in is orders of
magnitude easier than getting a beat-up one back into shape.

Re: parts - Cheap parts are not always the most economical way to go, and
may be dangerous as Andy Mace pointed out.  I don't know how many times
I've had to do a job twice, once with cheap parts, the next time soon
after with good ones.  Notice that I had to buy both the cheap and the
good parts - not the most economical approach!  To paraphrase a comment I
saw on these pages:

   "The bad taste of cheap parts (or tools for that matter) lingers long
   after the glow of low prices fades away".

General comment - It is probably worth buying a book like "Guide to
Purchase and D(o) I(t) Y(ourself) Restoration of the Triumph Spitfire,
GT6, Herald, and Vitesse" by Porter and Williams.  I think there is also a
Practical Classics guide to Spitfire restoration but I haven't seen it.
These books will give you at least an idea of what you are up against, and
some of the methods and techniques you need in the course of fixing up a
Spit.  The Porter book has numerous pictures showing various operations -
the Practical Classics book probably does too.

Also, join your local Triumph club which more than likely has members that
have "been there before", and would be happy to help you out.

Of course, you already found one excellent source of information in this
list, but sometimes pictures (in the book) or hands-on guidance will be
needed.

Good luck, and have fun with the car.  And don't be too cheap!

Cheers,
Mike Burdick - '70 Spit Mk3, '75 & '76 Spit 1500s.
Omaha NE