65 Spitfire

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: 65 Spitfire
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 04 Nov 1996 10:26:56 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 080EC327E357000B-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <080EC327E357000B*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Ed -

I have to toss in my two cents here and can speak from personal experience.

I would concur with what I think everybody on the list has said so far about
restoring your 65 Spitfire 4.  Unless you have one that is "complete" and is
not too rusted out in the floor pan and sills, you may be chasing your tail
so to speak.  Let's face it, ,these things eat money, although not as fast
as some other BCs such as Jaguars, or some prime German metal that comes to
mind (my recently acquired 64 Porsche 3566C coupe for my wife is one
 example.  I am looking at probably $10,000 to $15,000 to redo it right).

Anyways, your best bet is to get it running pretty good, made absolutely
certain the brake system is in perfect order, and enjoy it for what it is
worth as a sporty little fun weekend toy and try not to take it too
seriously.  You can spend a ton of money on cosmetic work, so focus on the
mechanical stuff.  I'd leave the boot floor alone unless absolutely
necessary to function.  It is unfortunate that the one you picked up has so
much damage and rust, etc. although the price you paid sounds about right.
 As for the frame, if it is safe to drive it and it isn't too bad leave it
alone.  The time you spend on it will not be worth it.

I am about two thirds of the way through a complete frame off restoration of
a 64 Spitfire 4, all original with the exception of a few odd ball pieces
such as a Mk II exhaust header, etc.  It has been terrific fun and it looks
great.  But my God, what a lot of time and effort - and my Spitfire was a
complete, rust free, very solid bodied example.  I cannot even fathom how
much more time and effort I would have to have spent if it had major rust
problems.  So, use moderation when contemplating a renovation or overhaul of
your Mk I Spitfire.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)