Re: MT-1

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MT-1
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:28:33 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> > Amsoil gear lubes meet a specification called MT-1.  This
> > means that no matter what the GL rating, they are completely safe for
> > use with yellow metals (copper, bronze, brass)
>
>    Where would this tidbit of information be documented from
> a reliable source? I dearly hope it's true, but can't prove it
> beyond "read it in a post".
>
>    I had to replace the gear oil in my Midget box, and couldn't
> find GL-5 anywhere so I put in Castrol Hypoy until I could find
> some.
>
>    This Castrol I have in makes the box work great, and it is
> listed as "GL-5 and MT-1" compliant. But I am still worried about the
> yellow metals.
>
>    I'd like to keep the current oil in there for a lot of
> reasons including cost and availability but also because
> changing the oil in that tranny is an awful job.
>
>    I might sleep a little better if I could find a technical
> treatise that states what you just did. Not that I don't trust
> you, but I want to be sure.
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------Ottawa-Canada-GOSENSGO------
>         Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget
>      tboicey@isocan.com             One parking spot left!

Well Trevor,
only one thing, that was mentioned before I hope:

The Hypoy is no problem for yellow materials, but for oilbath clutches as
used in OD's.
As a fact (where I know from) FORD uses Hypoy oils in tranny and axle and
both are fitted with some kind of yellow metals (bushes, thrust-washers
,etc)
Hypoy oils are used for hypoy gears (I'd call them gears with curved
teeth)like the crown wheel and pinion.
Oils in axles are heavily stressed, ...now I leave solid ground...:),
hypoy gears will cut the molecular chains of non hypoy oils more easy!
Thats why FORD recommends these oils for axles and IMO they probably use
it on trannys only because of having only one stock item.

Any other ideas?
--
BFN   Pete          _____                            1962 TR4 daily
        -- -  -    / <>  \   __,@_\____              Peter Juergens