MT-1

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: MT-1
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 02:35:34 -0500
> Amsoil gear lubes meet a specification called MT-1.  This
> means that no matter what the GL rating, they are completely safe for
> use with yellow metals (copper, bronze, brass)

   Where would this tidbit of information be documented from
a reliable source? I dearly hope it's true, but can't prove it
beyond "read it in a post".

   I had to replace the gear oil in my Midget box, and couldn't
find GL-5 anywhere so I put in Castrol Hypoy until I could find
some.

   This Castrol I have in makes the box work great, and it is
listed as "GL-5 and MT-1" compliant. But I am still worried about the
yellow metals.

   I'd like to keep the current oil in there for a lot of
reasons including cost and availability but also because
changing the oil in that tranny is an awful job.

   I might sleep a little better if I could find a technical
treatise that states what you just did. Not that I don't trust
you, but I want to be sure.

--
        Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget