Re: More TR3 steering box questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More TR3 steering box questions
From: Stuart Bollen <stuartb@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 19:38:37 -0500 (EST)
At 08:16 AM 11/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>In reading Bentley's manual about adjusting the steering box, he uses
>some phrases with which I am not familar. Also the description of the
>removal of the steering unit is unclear.
>1. Under #3 "Adjustment of the steering box" The term "end float" is
>used. What does that phrase mean? Also the term "pre-load" is used to
>mean "float." What is "float."
>2. Under #8 "Remove steering unit" it says "(b) Remove the front bumper
>and fromt apron" Then on the next page they show a photograph of the
>steering unit coming out with the bumper in place. Did they put it back
>on? How much must be removed to pull the Steering Unit?
>
>Best
>Rob
Robert, end float is the same as "play" or up and down free movement in the
shaft. You have to play around with shims, bolting on the bottom plate each
time until you have taken all the slop out of the column. It is better to
preload i.e. have zero clearance and a little force on the bearings, than
end float,"play" or slop.

My TR3 has a split column and I got the box out without removing the apron
or the bumpers.

Good luck, Stu.--