Re: More TR3 steering box questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More TR3 steering box questions
From: Stuart Bollen <stuartb@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 22:14:13 -0500 (EST)
At 07:54 PM 11/9/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Stuart Bollen wrote:
>>
>> At 08:16 AM 11/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>> >In reading Bentley's manual about adjusting the steering box, he uses
>> >some phrases with which I am not familar. Also the description of the
>> >removal of the steering unit is unclear.
>> >1. Under #3 "Adjustment of the steering box" The term "end float" is
>> >used. What does that phrase mean? Also the term "pre-load" is used to
>> >mean "float." What is "float."
>> >2. Under #8 "Remove steering unit" it says "(b) Remove the front bumper
>> >and fromt apron" Then on the next page they show a photograph of the
>> >steering unit coming out with the bumper in place. Did they put it back
>> >on? How much must be removed to pull the Steering Unit?
>> >
>> >Best
>> >Rob
>> Robert, end float is the same as "play" or up and down free movement in the
>> shaft. You have to play around with shims, bolting on the bottom plate each
>> time until you have taken all the slop out of the column. It is better to
>> preload i.e. have zero clearance and a little force on the bearings, than
>> end float,"play" or slop.
>>
>> My TR3 has a split column and I got the box out without removing the apron
>> or the bumpers.
>>
>> Good luck, Stu.--
>> >Dr. Robert Paterson                  rpaterso@capital.edu
>> >Director, Information Technology     voice 614-236-6451
>> >Capital University                   fax 614-236-6490
>> >Columbus  OH  43209
>> >

>Stu:
>1) What do you mean by split column?
>2) How do you tell if one is?
>3) How did you get the steering box out without having to take the
>bumpers or apron off!
>
>Your help will be greatly appreciated as I was dreading this job on my
>TR3B. Hopefully I have the split column. I do have an adjustable
>wheel(sliding).Is that is the same as the split column?
>
>Regards
>--
>Lenny Seidman
>Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA
>email: lseidman@erols.com
>
>Lenny, later TR3's have a two piece steering column. The column is
basically cut in half between the firewall and steering box and held
together with a splined clamping arrangement. This was done so that the
steering box and lower half of the column could be removed withouit taking
the apron off. I don't know if the adjustable columns were built this way,
you'll have to look under the hood.Its realy not a bad job. Taking the apron
off is pretty straightforward, except my car had some bolts not shown in the
manual.