Final Drive Ratio Revisited

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, BRobert595@aol.com, Timothy.B.Neuschwander@dartmouth.edu
Subject: Final Drive Ratio Revisited
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:24:17 -0500
Well, our winter weather is finally setting in here in Northern California.
Grey and dark skys, cold and unfriendly wind.  Our all important, and usually
welcome, rainy season has decided to get underway.  One last spin with the
top down is in order.   Gotta come up with an excuse.  Maybe some lightbulbs
at the hardware store.  Ya.  Last time I did this, I turned left at the
corner, instead of right.  I did finally get to the hardware store.  About 60
miles and an hour and a half later...after motoring up through the Santa Cruz
mountains enjoying the curvaceous shady roadways under those  ancient
towering redwoods.  The crisp fall air being fought back by my tightly zipped
driving jacket.  That certain firm grip of my  winter driving gloves  keeping
my hands warm, despite the clear late afternoon fall air.  You know, that
kind of air that almost makes your breath visible, but not quite.  Broken
sunshine splashes through the dark green canopy two hundred feet above the
bending asphalt. The dashed white line passes by in a blur.  Then there is
the
sunset from the top of the ridge, peeking out under the storm clouds as it
sets down into Monterey Bay.  Who is this artist, anyway?   Gotta get to know
him better.

So, what is my final drive ratio?   I'd say this year it has been about 300
driving days to about 65 non-driving days.  Great weather, great life.  Now
its time for that one last drive, before we call it winter.  I'll have to
make if fast, or I may not make it back dry.  I have chores to do when I get
back.  Need to put the hard top on Linda's (the blue 79).  Then I have to get
out the sticks and rag top for Puerquito (the 65).  That's OK.  We had a
great year.  Lots of great driving, great friends, great places.

Happy motoring and Happy Thanksgiving 1996

Brian Neuschwander
Los Gatos, California

79 Spitfire
65 Spitfire