Re: 1300 or 1500?<9611111528.AA293354@Quetico.tbaytel.net>

To: Andrew Murchison <amurchi@Quetico.tbaytel.net>
Subject: Re: 1300 or 1500?<9611111528.AA293354@Quetico.tbaytel.net>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:45:01 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Hello out there in Triumph land.
>I have a few questions regarding the various units put into the small
>(there were big ones?) Triumphs.  After stripping the old 1500 unit
>-thrust washers out crank scored- I'm trying to make a decision about
>what engine to put in.  It's going to be either a 1300 or 1500cc unit

>-Do I go for the longer stroke-higher torque of the 1500 or the
>1300 revving capabilities?
>-Is one more reliable than the other?
>-Does the wider bearing 1300 unit ('71-'72?) have any pros or cons
>over the earlier unit?

The 71-72 1300 is a tough old boot of an engine, although it's no basis for
getting decent power and is a bit gutless.  My 73 MkIV 1300 (UK Spec) has
nearly covered 60000 miles in the 3 years I owned it, has been regularly
thrashed(ie, well past the 6000rpm redline often), has seen 115mph on a 'good'
stretch of road in O/D top(Miracles DO happen), and has only given me one major
problem, and that was my fault as I put the air filters(Don't forget we got
twin SU's and a whole 63Bhp :-)) on with a steel washer wedged in it which
caused a bit of a disagreement in number 2 cylinder, although after I had
removed the piston, extracted the bits of washer from the crown and filed it
flat(ish), the engine runs as sweet as a nut, and still doesn't blow any smoke
out the back!!!  don't yet have much experience running a 1500 yet, although I
am considering swapping my 1300 and D-typ O/D for a 1500 and J-type gearbox and
O/D I have sitting around!! :-)

I must admit, that after driving a friends 1500, then going back to mine, his
is much more able to keep up with modern traffic without having to rev it hard,
BUT, it doesn't seem to like revving much either, apparently big ends aren't a
1500's strong point!!!

>-What is a practical limit for over boring these units?

Not sure, but I think it's about +60 thou which I think makes it about
1340cc(ish), mines currently +30 thou.

>I live in a area that has a lot of twisty
>country roads and will probably be competing in club rallys and such.
>Either way the engine will be getting a cam, headwork, and either the
>single or dual weber setup.

OK, DON'T bother with the late 1300, preferably go for the Mk3 Spitfire 1300.

>Thanks in advance

no problem.

Cheerio

Rich

ps, just seen this months Classic Car magazine, my car ain't in it after all, I
suppose they didn't want to offend their readers!!! :-)