RE. Subject: Finally, cyl head removed, (long?)

To: "'triumph list submission'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE. Subject: Finally, cyl head removed, (long?)
From: "Lukin, Gavin" <GLukin@nibupls1.telstra.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 08:13:00 EST
Encoding: 21 TEXT
This sounds like my first TR7 head removal. Except I got the head to move
about 1/2 inch. Being at a 40 degree angle I couldn't screw the head off so
I ended up getting a hack saw blade between the head and cut the last
offending stud (which has sheered off inside the head).

A combination of alloy head, steel studs, heat, no coolant (thanks DPO) and
bad head gasket had corroded the stud to the head enough to lift the car up
using only the corrosion on the stud to hold it up

Took me about 2 weeks to get it off, the hacksaw blade was a last resort.

On reassembly I made sure that I had plenty of "Never Seize", on the studs.

The nightmares have stopped, but I still get flashbacks everytime I open the
bonnet.

Regards
Gavin
1969 Spit Mk3