Re: TR6 Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Carbs
From: Kdoc111@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:14:10 -0500
Regarding the great Weber carb debate, what mjb states in his reply about 3
DCOEs is what I've heard to be accurate.  I would be very interested,
however, in any dyno work performed on a TR6 with the 2 Weber DGV set-up.

When I had DGVs put on my TR6 nine years ago, the most obvious difference was
with throttle response.  My Strombergs were sucking air and the car was awful
to drive.  The new Webers made a big improvement in drivability, which is
what I was after.  But I have to think back now,  and say that new Strombergs
would likely have made similar improvements too.

Regarding performance with the DGV's, my guess is that they would yield equal
or slightly less hp than the stock TR6 set-up in good condition.  It would be
fun to see if the torque  changes, however, with the longer intake runners on
the DGV set-up.  A header and elect. ignition also compliment the TR6 motor
well, I believe.

Though for the most bang-for-the-buck, the suspension rebuild and mods I did
last winter to my TR6 made HUGE improvements "right-now" to the car.  Won't
win any drag races, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive!

One last thought about "performance mods" and hop-ups I may add, is that the
car must meet your goals.  I've seen autox "street" cars run faster than
Formula Fords on any course.  But none of those cars can be driven on a nice
weekend to grandma's house; and all are trailered.

Good street-driven Triumphs seem to be the direct opposite of race-winning
 Triumphs.   But a great, SAFE way to test your car's limits is at a local
autocross.  Damn fun too.

Kevin D. O'Connor