Re: TR6 Clunk (TR4A and 250, too!)

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clunk (TR4A and 250, too!)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 07:37:24 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> The first thing to check is that your lug nuts are tight.
>
> If the U joints and splines are *really* OK (did you check the driveshaft U
> joints, too?), then check for play in the diff. Put the car in gear, jack up
> one rear wheel, see how much free play there is on that wheel, and watch what
> moves while the wheel moves.

Another good way to find a "clunk" is to get the "clunk" to happen while
you
are under the car.  To do this, I would suggest that you put the car up
on
jackstands, and put the car in gear.  (The car should not be running,
BTW.)

Then, grab one of the rear wheels firmly with both hands, abruptly spin
it about 180 degrees, and then abruptly stop it.  Generally, this
approximates
the kind of jolt the diff and u-joints take every time the clutch is let
out.
Repeat this quite a few times until you can reproduce the clunk.  Don't
be
afraid to hurt anything by doing this -- it is amazing how abruptly the
start/stop of spin needs to be for this to work.  (It also gives an
appreciation
of the kind of forces the driveshaft components undergo in just regular
driving.)

Then, once you can reproduce the sound, find somebody else that you can
show how to do this.  (Spouse, son/daughter, friend, street urchin,
whoever...)
Have them reproduce the sound.  Now, you can get under the car, have
your
helper reproduce the "clunk", and you can carefully listen to find
exactly
*where* the sound is coming from.  You'll probably actually be able to
see
what is wrong, unless of course it actually is internal to the diff.
Even
then, however, it would be quite clear that the sound is coming from
within
the diff, especially if you happen to have a mechanic's stethoscope.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com