Re: The King's Robe

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The King's Robe
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 06:38:36 -0800
Cc: Zenon_Barelka@systech.com
>  Since your are doing the noleadhead rebuild, and it does not sound
>  like you remove the head often ... I wondered if you were doing
>  anything to improve flow. If so what are you doing?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, as a matter of fact and for the GT6 (and probably for the TR6 as well
since the share the same casting) It's surprisingly easy.  Just a matter of
port matching, slightly enlarging the pockets around the valves,
straightening out the intake ports a little, and probably most important,
grinding the 'sharp' edges in the combustion chamber smooth.  There are
four, two on either side of the spark plug hole and two on either side of
the valves.  Grinding these areas smooth will provide better flow while
reducing any hotspots, a source of pinging (pinking for you brits).
Probably one of the easiest 'port and polish' jobs Iv'e done.   These
modifications are taken directly from the competition booklet for the GT6 (
Heck sombody already did all the hard work - why re-invent the wheel! )

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+