Triumph recalls

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph recalls
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 15:02:16 -0500 (EST)
I saw a pointer recently to the NHTSA (that's National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration) web site for recalls and service
bulletins.  So after checking out the details on the other
family vehicles, naturally I went looking for TR-6 info.

Despite a really nasty query interface at the site, I found
that there are two recalls associated with '72 TR-6s.  I
wanted to just get TR-6 (all years), but despite what the
instructions say, I couldn't get it to work.  Anyway, for
grins, here's what went wrong enough for recalls.

BTW, if you want to do your own search:
   http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov
(no the "dot" is not a typo as I thought it must be.  How
about "Department Of Transportation")

The mirror item sounds like a factory "ah, s**t" recall, and
the leak issue sounds like the usual problem which gets
discussed here.  Note their fix is essentially "replace stuff".
I also enjoyed the use of the word "flood" as a catagory!

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com
HP Atlanta
'72 TR-6

Results of search for "1972" "Triumph" "TR6"

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 73V055000
Make: TRIUMPH
Model: TR6
Year: 1972
Causing Fault : INFORMATION,WARRANTY,REGULATION,STANDARD,FOIA
Resulting Fault : INFORMATION,WARRANTY,REGULATION,STANDARD,FOIA
Component: VISUAL SYSTEMS:MIRRORS:REARVIEW:EXTERIOR
Manufacturer: JAGUAR ROVER TRIUMPH INC.
Year of Recall: 1973
Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 55
BRITISH LEYLAND CAMPAIGN NO A 424. POSSIBILITY THAT THE OUTSIDE DOOR MIRROR
ONDRIVERS SIDE DOES NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETYSTANDARD NUMBER 111. THE MIRROR HAS CURVED OR CONVEX LENS INSTEAD OF
REQUIREDFLAT GLASS LENS. (CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND REPLACE WITH PROPER TYPE
MIRROR. )
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 74V111000
Make: TRIUMPH
Model: TR6
Year: 1972
Causing Fault : FLOODS,LEAKS
Resulting Fault : FLOODS,LEAKS
Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY
Manufacturer: JAGUAR ROVER TRIUMPH INC.
Year of Recall: 1974
Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 39,924
TRIUMPH CAMPAIGN NO A428. POSSIBILITY OF FUEL LEAKAGE FROM ONE OR ANY OF
THEFOLLOWING AREAS FUEL TANK SEAMS, AND GASKET, FUEL TANK FILLER HOSE AND/OR
GASFUMES LEAKING FROM THE EVAPORATIVE LOSS LINE TO CONNECTIONS FROM THE FUEL
TANKTO THE CHARCOAL CANISTER. (CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND REPLACING
NECESSARYPARTS).

This search returned 2 records.