Re: American Racing Wheels

To: kevina@wolverine.emji.net
Subject: Re: American Racing Wheels
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:37:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

Seems like we've visited this issue before.

1. There are several types of American Racing wheels for TR's, but we'll
assume that you are looking for the 8 spoke mini-lite replicas or the 4
spoke "formula libra" wheels.

2. Calling American Racing Wheels will result in hysterical laughter
followed by the following comment: "We don't stock those and we don't
make them any more". They really don't mean anything bad by this, the
bottom line is twofold:

a. ARE was family owned until about 8 to 10 years ago.
b. when the business sold, any ties to the past went away.
c. I talked to one of the previous owners. He wants nothing to do with
the company after selling out. Period.

So, getting the wheels from ARE is "right out", as they say.

Forget about finding Magnesium. Even if you find them, I'd be _very_
leary about the strength of 25+ year old rims made of a material that is
not too stable to begin with. And then there's the potential of stress
cracks etc.

Next, there are several modern replacement wheels to Triumph that are way
better than the old wheels. The materials technology is better, they'll
be "new" (read straight) you can get replacements if you happen to have
an "off". There's a lot of reasons to go with the newer wheels.

Now, I searched high and low for one each 4-spoke ARE wheel a couple years
back. I finally found one for sale at big money earlier this year. In
total, it was 2 years from when I found the first three to when I found
the 4th rim.

I am pretty happy with the wheels, they aren't perfect, but they are
almost round and they suffice for AutoX'ing that I do with them. However,
I'm probably going to break down over the winter and buy some Panasport
Lights just because then I will not have to worry about breaking these
ones on curbs or potholes (which are extremely numerous in the New
England area where I live). I will be able to get replacements. Expensive
- yes at more then $200 each. But I won't have to worry about them.

What about my 4-spokes? Well, it looks like I got an offer that is too
good to turn up. What will probably happen is the guy who wants to buy
them will buy all 4 and then offer 2 or 3 for sale to the highest bidder.

If in fact he does this, I'll post to the Triumphs list and let you guys
know that a partial set of 4 spoke ARE wheels is available.

The guy that wants to buy my wheels has been looking for _3_ years. In
fact, two years ago I almost bought his 3 to make up my set (plus spares,
of course) but he changed his mind and decided to keep his.

So, good luck getting a set of old ARE wheels.

Oh, there's always the option of buying a whole car with a set of wheels
on it and taking the wheels for your car... ;-). Don't laugh, it's been done.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? 3.5, more or less.