Re: Aussie Driving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aussie Driving
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 10:27:37 PST
Van S. Griffin wrote:
        >Aren't those roads over (under) there mean to cars?  Some of the
        >worst roads I've ever seen exist in the outskirts of the ACT and
Canberra.  I
        >would imagine despite the weather, pothole dodging, or better yet,
triumphant
        >pothole passing, must really detract from the expierence.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I lived a considerable portion of my life
in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (ACT) until 1990.  I
remember the roads you speak of; they remind me of the b/w shots of
the Monte Carlo and other great rallies from the 1960's, y'know,
the sorts of roads that Triumphs hate;  asphalt mixed with dirt, sinewy
mountain roads, some snow and absolutely no traffic.  At the end of a
drive to the top of the mountain there was nothing but a mountain
glade.  The only thing we could do before the treacherous trip back
down was to pull out the blanket and hamper, refuel ourselves with
sustenance and bask in the sun to regain our strength for the ordeal ahead.

Triumphs hate roads like that.

Give me the new concrete 6-lane freeways that now adorn Canberra, the
safety of travelling in a pack, the organization offered by traffic
lights and the friendliness of the local constabulary.

Yeah, gimme more.

        Shane Ingate, lost in San Diego.